- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be very hard and painful for me. Remember that before you buy/adopt me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me. Please be patient with me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.
- Do not be angry with me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends and your entertainment. I only have you!
- Talk to me, even if I do not understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me. You only have to look at my tail!
- Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it!
- Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am in pain or sick, or my heart might be getting weak and I cannot tell you.
- Take care of me when I get old, you too will grow old someday.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch it” or, “let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there.
** And always remember, I Love You!
c. Stan Rawlinson Dog Behaviourist and Obedience Trainer. Author of the “Ten Commandments For Pets”. You can visit his website and articles at https://www.doglistener.co.uk